Tuesday 10 December 2013

Thousands Displaced as Civil Strife Escalates in Central Africa Republic

Close to 460,000 people — 10% of Central African Republic’s (CAR) population — have fled their homes as fighting intensifies in the country one year after the Seleka Coalition launched an offensive that toppled the former President Francois Bozize. An unknown number of civilians have been killed sparking concerns by the international community of a potential genocide in the country.

The CAR civil conflict began on 10 December 2012 when the coalition, consisting of several rebel groups, accused Bozize of defaulting on the peace agreements they had signed with the government in 2007 and 2011. The war pitted government armed forces, also known as Central African Armed Forces (FACA), and Seleka, which comprised two rebel groups — Union of Democratic Forces for Unity (UFDR) and Convention of Patriots for Peace and Justice (CPJP).
Deserted homes: Villagers have fled their homes for fear of attacks by Seleka bandits (Photo Credit: www.guardianlv.com)
However, the conflict has taken a new dimension with the disbanding of Seleka in September 2013 by the current president, Michael Djotodia, who is a former member of the group. Andrew Harding, a BBC’s African correspondent, outlines details in his article of banditry, brutality and score-settling that has become the norm of the now-disintegrated Seleka group. 

The conflict has also assumed a religious dimension where Christian vigilante groups — also known as ‘anti-balaka’ — are fighting Muslims who they perceive to have the support of Seleka. Anti-balaka is a Mandja or Sango word that refers to self-defence groups formed by communities to defend themselves from poachers, bandits, cattle rustlers and rebels. Father Dieudonne, a priest in the town of Bossangoa, explains that “the relationship between Muslims and Christians may have been destroyed forever”.

The EU Humanitarian Head Kristalina Georgieva had warned that CAR could slump into a state of collapse as well as genocide as fighting intensified between the Seleka-backed Muslims and the majority Christians. President Djotodia was quick to dispel such speculations stating that it was a fabrication of the international community. He explained that, “there is no inter-religious war. This is attributed to some Seleka elements and loyalists of the former government settling scores with each other”.

The World Food Programme (WFP) recent report in November 2013 paints a grim picture of the humanitarian situation in the country. Close to 1.1 million people — representing 30 per cent of the country’s population — cannot meet their daily food needs including access to nutritious food. The conflict forced many families to flee their homes leaving their crops and livestock unattended. The WFP warns that the situation could worsen as long as the conflict persists. According to Harding’s article, villagers have fled to the bushes for fear of repeat attacks whereas others have sought refuge in churches and mosques.
The International Red Cross Society has been involved in humanitarian activities in CAR (Photo Credit: www.ifrc.org)
The Central African Republic has been mired in civil conflicts since its independence in 1960 from France. Its human rights record is wanting with the Human Rights Watch (HRW) accusing Seleka of killing unarmed civilians and engaging in wanton destruction of property. The HRW released its report in September 2013 titled, I Can Still Smell the Dead: The Forgotten Human Rights Crisis in the Central African Republic, urging the international community to impose sanctions on those responsible for the human rights abuses.

What is the solution to the persistent conflict in CAR?




1 comments:

  1. I will love to share my testimony with all my viewers because i never thought i would have another chance with my boyfriend, the man i wanted to marry left me for another woman, and when i called him, he never picked my calls,he deleted me on his Facebook account and then set the status to having a girlfriend with the other chick. I was devastated. I went to three spell casters before doctor and i had really lost hope. i lost a lot of money with them and got no results. so when i came to hector i was really leery of him and didn’t think he could help me. i though it is too good to be true, because all the other spell casters were supposedly good and none of them helped me. i saw the testimonials and read the other testimonials and decided to get the consultation. he said he could help me, but my chances of getting my ex were very low and he didn’t recommend it at all. But i insisted that he at least give me the chance to work with him and try and if it didn’t work, i wouldn’t be upset and i would move on with my life. He agreed. Since he is in jersey and im in nyc, i decided i would go in person to have my spells cast. he is a really sweet and gentle man, when i met him i was really surprised. he looks very young, and i had my doubts whether or not he would be able to help me. But i figured i came all that way and i said i would try so i tried it. He called a spirit to talk with me and do the work, it was a woman spirit and when it came it totally transformed hector’s face. that is when i thought to myself that it might just work. the spirit gave me some advice and did the spells. i had a separation spell and a reunion spell done. the spirit said it would take a while for my ex to leave his new girl but once he did, he would come to me very quickly. She gave me some things to take home and do. I did them, but i was really nervous. i think i messed up a few times and i told t and she said just keep going and i would be fine. so i did. it was like 6 or 7 weeks later and i saw that my ex unblocked me from Facebook. I saw he had changed his status again to single. so i was super excited because i took this to mean that he had split up with the other girl. about 10 days after that my ex called me. At first, it was weird between us. he wanted to see me. so i went to meet up with him. he didn’t ask me back then. i got very anxious and told t, and she said to stay calm and everything would turn out okay. So i did the best i could although i was still worried. We met up a few more times after that, and still he didn’t ask me back out. so i got a consultation with hector and he said to expect my ex to ask me back out within two weeks from the consultation. i listened, but i wasn’t sure it would happen. then it was almost 2 weeks later, and i though, damn, dctor was wrong. But the next day (there was like 2 days left from it being 2 weeks) my ex called and we got together. He asked me if i would be willing to try our relationship again, which of course i said yes. that was about 3 weeks ago, and so far we have been doing okay, we still have a lot of things to work out, but i am very happy. hector is the real deal and i am so glad that i found him and i recommend him to anyone who needs help. thank you so much doctor you saved my life!
    Reply ?you can as we contact her email ayemenramagicspell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete